New Town United Methodist Church Williamsburg, VA Posted: July 22, 2021
This is a professional part-time position that requires flexibility regarding time and hours worked weekly and reports to the Lead Pastor. The Worship Director attends weekly worship planning meetings with the Lead Pastor, regular Ministry Leadership Team meetings, Staff meetings, & other meetings as required. Continuing education is required and needs to be approved by the Lead Pastor. This will normally be funded by the church. Salary range: $18,000 to $22,000 annually, commensurate with experience and other qualifications.
Working with the Lead Pastor, the Director of Worship Ministries will help plan services and
select appropriate music for multiple services in order to foster an inter-generational culture of
worship through music. The Director of Worship Ministries is responsible for leading worship
through songs during corporate worship services, directing the Praise Band, organizing &
coordinating vocal & instrumental ensembles, and fostering a growing music ministry.
References and background checks are required.
1. Provide worship leadership through music during corporate worship services, being sensitive
to the Holy Spirit's leading.
2. Oversee the preparation for the musical aspects of Sunday morning corporate worship
services and special services.
3. Incorporate into our contemporary corporate worship services songs that minister to an
inter-generational congregation, including but not limited to contemporary
hymns, contemporary praise songs & choruses.
4. Develop and coordinate special music offerings to enhance corporate worship services
including, but not limited to, vocal and instrumental solo and ensembles. Coordinate music
for special services or programs. We do 1 corporate worship service each week with extras during Holy Week and Christmas.
5. Support youth music ministry by leading or working with a volunteer Youth Praise Band
leader and the Director of Youth Ministries to have a Youth Praise Band lead worship services
9-10 times per year.
6. Support children's music ministry by working with a volunteer Children's Choir Director and
the Director of Children's Ministries:
a. to have children's music offerings during worship services 2- 4 times per year
b. to put on a Christmas children's program in the month of December
7. Check copyright agreements and request permission to use music when necessary.
8. Serve as copy reporter for the church for music through CCLI or other copyright reviews.
9. Direct, oversee, & resource the Adult Praise Band:
a. Keep abreast of worship music available.
b. Prepare music for singers and instrumentalists (transposed as needed).
10. Lead Praise Band practices. Recruit new singers and instrumentalists. Develop and oversee
opportunities for church members to share gifts and talents and serve in worship through music
and other worship arts; such as adult choir or other vocal groups, instrumental groups, praise
11. Responsible for overseeing Audio Visual and live-streaming volunteers who are responsible for ensuring appropriate volume, sound level and balance are consistently maintained during worship services, and ensuring that the live-streaming is set up and running during each service.
12. To serve as a member of the church staff team and embrace and be committed to the Purpose
Statement & Core Values of NTUMC, and follow the Leadership Structure
(charter) of NTUMC.
13. Strive to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace within the congregation and
14. Altar area - Responsible for ensuring the altar area is set up for each service (proper colors,
flowers, etc...) - not necessary to do it, but insure someone is taking care of it.
Experiencing Worship, The Study
Used by churches all over the world to help teach worship, the Experiencing Worship study can help your worship team too.
Your team will learn why we worship and gain a better understanding of how to worship.
One user said..."Your 5 week study course has made a tremendous impact on my life in the study of worship... I would like to express my thanks for a well written study course that leads into a higher realm of praise and worship."