Soapstone UMC Raleigh, NC Posted: January 14, 2022
Lead Pianist and Accompanist
A church in North Raleigh, Soapstone United Methodist, with a dynamic and active music program is seeking a Lead Pianist and Accompanist. Approximately 12 hours per week is required.
· This individual will provide piano accompaniment and solo playing for the following:
o Two Sunday morning worship services: 8:30 am with a Praise Team and 11:00 am service with a Chancel Choir. This includes solo prelude, offertory, and postlude pieces as needed.
o Three weekly rehearsals: Chancel Choir on Wednesday evenings; Praise Team on Thursday evenings; ensemble groups on Sunday afternoons.
o Cantata rehearsals: four Saturday mornings (September – December) and four January – April for our Christmas and Easter cantatas, which we perform with orchestra
o Special services throughout the year (funerals, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Christmas Eve).
· Our music groups perform in worship year-round; however, we take off many weeks of rehearsal in the summer.
· The lead pianist, in coordination with the Director of Music Ministries, is responsible for finding a substitute for rehearsals and services for which they cannot play.
· Applicants invited to interview for the position will be asked to play with a small group, as well as sight read.
· Heart for worship and a desire to inspire the spiritual growth of others
· A Bachelor's Degree in Music with an emphasis on piano and/or accompanying, or equivalent experience.
· 2+ years related experience playing for worship in a program-sized church.
Compensation is negotiable, based on experience. Interested applicants should email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org; or mail to Soapstone UMC, Attn: Rev. Mitzi Johnson, 12837 Norwood Road, Raleigh, NC 27613. No phone calls, please.
Experiencing Worship, The Study
Used by churches all over the world to help teach worship, the Experiencing Worship study can help your worship team too.
Your team will learn why we worship and gain a better understanding of how to worship.
One user said..."Your 5 week study course has made a tremendous impact on my life in the study of worship... I would like to express my thanks for a well written study course that leads into a higher realm of praise and worship."