Gretna Brethren Church BELLEFONTAINE, OH Posted: August 25, 2020
Associate Pastor Position Description
Job Title: Associate Pastor
Reports To: Lead Pastor
Position Status: Regular employee, full-time, exempt
General Job Description
The Associate Pastor is one who is gifted and called to church ministry, loves people, and has a passion for evangelism, youth development, and corporate worship experience within a multi-generational
congregational setting. They are committed to growing their relationship with the Lord, and helping
others within the body to do likewise. The Associate Pastor is one who casts a vision for the ministries under their direction, in fulfilling the work of Gretna Brethren Church. They live out the Great Commission by sharing the gospel boldly from the pulpit, by being in the community, and through one-on-one relationships.
- Preferred Associate's Degree in biblical studies/leadership, or commensurate experience
- Willingness to pursue formal ordination in the Brethren Church
- 2-5 years church leadership experience (paid or unpaid)
- Proven capacity for connecting to all ages, and especially teenagers, helping them grow in their
relationship with Jesus Christ
- Gifting for Youth leadership
- Strong organization and communication skills
- Proven capacity for developing shared vision, establishing strategic plans, motivating individuals
and driving toward goals with accountability
- Capacity to provide effective, biblically sound preaching and teaching to the congregation as
- Gifting in music production, leadership, and development of corporate worship experiences
- Maintain a growing personal relationship with Jesus Christ through personal Bible study and
prayer, and participation in at least one LifeGroup, or faith-mentoring relationship each year.
- Support Gretna through attendance, membership, and tithing
- Support the doctrine of The Brethren Church
- Pray regularly for the body of Gretna
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule that meets the needs of those to whom they shepherd
- Full support of the mission of Gretna Brethren Church – namely: building trans-formative
relationships, living a relevant faith, and helping others find restoration in the Lord, through
Detailed Job Description
- Support the Lead Pastor in the overall vision casting and leadership of the church's teaching
- Work with the Lead Pastor and Worship Ministry to ensure weekend services are planned and
executed to glorify God and strengthen His people
Associate Pastor Position Description
- Know the congregation by showing intense interest in them. This will include getting to know
personal and family stories of the active members of the church.
- Communication skills to effectively preach several times a year and be prepared to be the
emergency backup speaker in case of last minute need. Always have an emergency sermon
- Assist in the visitation of the body in the hospital, care facilities, and homes.
- Lead a team of parents and volunteers serving as the primary spiritual guides for Gretna's youth -
- Develop and execute a balanced program of teaching and discipleship to youth, including (but
not limited to) Sunday School and one other youth gathering per week.
- Coordinate and participate in retreats, camps, mission trips, and activities.
- Support youth in their school setting, including attending athletic, musical/drama and other
- Provide pastoral care to youth & families; provide confidential pastoral counseling in emergencies
and short-term basis.
- Foster multi-church youth activities – both locally and regionally.
- Create and maintain consistent processes of communication with parents regarding teaching,
events, and spiritual development opportunities.
- Complete and remain current with Gretna's vetting process for yourself and all youth workers.
- Create a biblical, multi-generationally engaging worship experience for regular weekly services.
- Oversee and coordinate all worship team members including singers, musicians, and
- Raise up, develop and empower worship leaders and volunteers from within the church.
- Create a place for the presence of God as a priority; desire the moving of Holy Spirit during
- Participate in scheduled staff meetings, Leadership Team and other meetings as required.
- Prepare and maintain a yearly budget for your areas of responsibility.
- Provide monthly reports on operations and personal development to the Leadership Team.
- Other duties as assigned
Hours & Benefits
The Associate Pastor will be classified as a full-time, exempt employee. Benefits offered will be
consistent with the current policy for insurance, paid time off (PTO) and holidays. This is a minimum 40
hour per week position.
Experiencing Worship, The Study
Used by churches all over the world to help teach worship, the Experiencing Worship study can help your worship team too.
Your team will learn why we worship and gain a better understanding of how to worship.
One user said..."Your 5 week study course has made a tremendous impact on my life in the study of worship... I would like to express my thanks for a well written study course that leads into a higher realm of praise and worship."